Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Trying too hard to copy?

Ha! So my new resolution didn't last long, but I'm going to try to catch up. I'm about to start the school day, so this won't be long, but I wanted to point out this article that I read yesterday. It discusses how 'Christian' culture does weak copies of most 'mainstream' stuff, rather than having much that's distinctive or original about it. From romance novels, to t-shirts, to a TV show that is a Christian version of Punk'd (!), Christian culture tries to take something from mainstream culture and 'clean it up'; however, it mostly comes off as a weak imitation of the real thing. I don't know what truly original Christian culture would look like, although I know a lot of churches right now are working to try and figure that out, but it's an excellent point to consider. I'd like to think on this and post more later. Thoughts, anyone?

1 comment:

Elzabet said...

ITA with that assessment. I don't have an answer right now but I think the point is valid and requires thought from all involved. Remember, we didn't call ourselves Christian. That was a moniker hung on us by the Romans/pagans. "Little Christs". We called ourselves followers of the Way of Christ. Maybe we should. start there.